BACK UP BATTERY POLICY
Important Information Regarding Your Phone Service
Your Gibson Connect-provided GPON ONT is powered by plugging it into an electrical wall outlet. In the event of an electrical outage, your modem will not receive power, just like any other electrically powered device in your home. If this were to happen your Gibson Connect phone service, including any medical or security alert services, like E911, will not be available to you.
TAKE NOTE: If you have a medical alert system, or security equipment, you are strongly encouraged to utilize and maintain a battery back-up. Gibson Connect’s phone service is designed to be used on the premises in which service is installed. The equipment that we install in your home or business is the property of Gibson. In the event you relocate or disconnect service, you must return the unit/equipment to a Gibson Connect office or arrange for it to be picked up. If the unit/equipment is not returned, you will be subject to a one-time charge. You assume the risk of loss, theft, or damage to the equipment at all times prior to the removal of the units by Gibson Connect or return of the units by you.
You may purchase a backup battery as part of your Gibson Connect Phone Service installation. Please contact Customer Service at 844-859-6767 to learn more about the backup battery policy, including tips on how best to prepare for an electrical outage. Gibson Connect does not guarantee the performance of any backup battery.
The Gibson Connect installed Optical Network Terminal (ONT) includes a Battery Back Unit (BBU) option, which you may utilize by maintaining an active 12-volt battery in the BBU. With a fully-charged battery, the BBU will provide backup power for your basic voice services, including Emergency 911 dialing, for up to twenty-four (24) hours in the event of a commercial power failure. You are responsible for purchasing and/or replacing the battery in the BBU. We recommend you think about this battery check and replacement just like you would the batteries in your smoke detectors or emergency flashlights.
The BBU is installed at your location in an area where it can be easily monitored. The BBU is connected directly to the ONT to provide backup power if it's needed. In addition, the BBU contains a series of indicator lights that tell you whether your service is being powered by your location's electricity or the battery if one is installed. The BBU also indicates when the 12-volt battery needs to be replaced.
Know your Battery Backup Unit
Model: Cyber Power DTC36U12V3-G
- Alarm Silence – Press to silence audible alarm. Permanently mute or temporarily silence with one-click.
- Cold Start– Press once to reboot the ONT and get up to 1 hour of battery life for emergency phone calls. Once pushed, all remaining battery life will be used.
- System Status
- GREEN – Power Available
- RED – Power Not Available
- RED – Battery needs to be replaced
- OFF – the device will sound alarms to alert you as normal
- YELLOW (blinking) – the device has been permanently muted & will not make any audible alert noises until unmuted.
- GREEN – normal operation
- BLINKING GREEN – system fault
- System Status
BBU Audible Alarms
Should there be a problem with your BBU, an alarm will sound for 2 seconds and be silent for 58 seconds. This will be repeated until you press the Alarm Silence button. Once you do, be sure to check the lights on the BBU to find the issue. Below are the most common reasons for the alarm to sound:
- On Battery – alarm to indicate that the device is now drawing power from the BBU rather than the wall outlet.
- Low Battery – alarm is silenced after electrical power returns, the battery is fully discharged or removed from the BBU
- Replace Battery – alarm is silenced when the battery is removed
How do I get a new or replacement battery?
Gibson Connect provides free replacement batteries only if:
- Your battery was provided by Gibson Connect and it is still under the one-year warranty period.
Gibson Connect reserves the right to modify this Back Up Battery Policy at any time. We will notify you of any material changes via written, electronic, or other means permitted by law, including by posting it on our website. If you find the changes unacceptable, you have the right to cancel the Services. If you continue to use the Services after receiving notice of such changes, we will consider that as your acceptance of the changes.
Effective: July 25, 2018